• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations for Uttering?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seanachais

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

My soon-to-be-ex-husband stole some checks of mine, made them payable to himself and forged my signature. I knew of one check and contacted my bank. I waited several weeks for a response from them, but was told the paperwork was misplaced and by that time I had given up hope that the bank would help me. He is not a signator on the account and we have never comingled our funds.

While compiling a list of contributions to the household I discovered that he's actually taken several checks and forged my name on them (payable to himself). Total amount is about $1,500. I went to the police to charge forgery but they have told me that because these checks were written about a year ago, and my husband has told them I gave them to him for "emergencies," they are treating it as a domestic dispute, rather than uttering. I explained that I did not give them to him--in fact, have the original paperwork I filed at the bank stating that I did not authorize this activity. I also have an email from my husband where he began "You have some nerve accusing me of forging your signature," and ending with "Yes, I took the check because ..."

Are the police correct in their belief that because I was not vigilant about my checking account that I've waited too long to recover this money?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">