• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slipped on Hanger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

josmatt22

What is the name of your state?Texas
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Texas
I was in line at a Store (Clothing) Large Chain. They had a long line and only 2 check outs so they opened a third line and called me up to the checkout.
My son and I walked up and there was a display and on the floor was a plastic hanger. I stepped on the hanger and went flying across the floor.
I have witnesses. They sat me down for an hour while they called their offices.
I went home and elevated my knee and I was sore all over. I called several
orthopedic Drs and they refused to see me because of slip fall. They do not take slipfall patients. So after a week I heard from their office and they were turning it over to their SRS. I finally went to my family dr and he heard my knee crunching. I had a MRI and lumbar x rays. I got a call from the Dr. and
he said he saw the Injury and it was going to take a long time to heal and
there is fluid inside the knee. I cannot walk very far without pain and my back and shoulder are still hurting. My bills are up to 2500. I don't want to
mess with a long drawn out lawsuit. I just want to know what I should settle
for . I need help in my house. I already have out of pocket expenses. Also
I know my insurance company will be contacting me about the injury and
I have to pay a large deductible. How does this all work. Do They pay me and I pay the insurance company minus what I have paid. I would appreciate feedback.
Ann

teflon_jones

Why was the hanger on the floor? Unless the store deliberately put it there, they're not at fault. You should have been watching where you were going. I'd contact the store and ask them to take care of your medical bills, but I wouldn't guarantee that they will. You can always ask though.

whyUcryin

Wrong!

It is their fault! Their store should be safe at all times for their customers and it obviously was not!!! The store is responsible for the upkeep!

josmatt22

I have been talking to an adjuster and the hanger was next to a display that could not be seen. They said they are going to settle.
Thanks
ann

divgradcurl

whyUcryin said:
It is their fault! Their store should be safe at all times for their customers and it obviously was not!!! The store is responsible for the upkeep!
Stores are not "strictly liable" for injuries that occur on their premises -- Teflon was right, you are the one that is wrong. If the store was negligent in not picking up the hangar, then they would be liable; otherwise, if the store is not negligent, then it's an accident, and there is no liablilty on the part of the store. Doesn't mean the store won't settle, however.

josmatt22

The insurance is paying for the medical bills. There was a basket bin and the hanger was to the side of it not visable. There were 30 people in line and
they had 2 employees. Then set up a new line. My son did not see the hanger either.
Ann

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">