• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiver of Marital Rights and its meaning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ticket11

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Does this document mean that I will lose any rights to the property I already jointly own with this woman, like the house(which is in both names). We are separated, but without papers, now she wants to buy a townhome, so she sent this for me to sign:

STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA
WAIVER OF MARITAL COUNTY OF WAKE RIGHTS

This Waiver of Marital Rights between Ticket11, hereinafter referred to as “Husband,” and Good Ridance, hereinafter referred to as “Wife,” shall become effective as of the date it has been executed by each party hereto;

WITNESSETH:

WHEREAS, Husband and Wife grant, release, and forever quitclaim each to the other, all right, title, interest, claim and demand whatsoever in the real estate of which either is now seized or may hereafter become seized; and each of said parties may from this date and at all times hereafter purchase, acquire, own, hold, possess, encumber, transfer, dispose of and convey any and all classes and kinds of property, real or personal, tangible or intangible, or mixed, as though unmarried and free from the consent, joinder and interference of the other party, it being the understanding and agreement on the part of each of the parties hereto that in the sale, transfer and conveyance of any property hereafter it shall not be necessary in order for the grantee to have good title, that the other party hereto shall sign and execute to the grantee the deed, conveyance, deed of trust, mortgage or bill of sale conveying or selling the property; it being the agreement and covenant of the parties hereto that in this respect, each of the parties hereto has forever released and discharged, and by these presents each does hereby now forever release and discharge the property of the other from all claims, interest and estate of his or her part, and that each shall be in the same position as if such party were single and unmarried.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have signed, sealed and acknowledged this Waiver of Marital Rights as seen below.

This the ____ day of _____________, 2005

____________________________________ (seal)
Ticket11
This the ____ day of _____________, 2005

____________________________________ (seal)
Good Ridance

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA – COUNTY OF WAKE:

I, the undersigned, a notary public for said county and state, certify that ticket11 personally appeared before me this day and acknowledged the due execution of the foregoing Waiver of Marital Rights.

Witness my hand and official stamp or seal, this the 13th day of May, 2005.

[Stamp or Seal]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA – COUNTY OF WAKE:

I, the undersigned, a notary public for said county and state, certify that Good Ridance personally appeared before me this day and acknowledged the due execution of the foregoing Waiver of Marital Rights.

Witness my hand and official stamp or seal, this the 13th day of May, 2005.

[Stamp or Seal]

LdiJ

I would interpret this as each of you are releasing claim to the property that the other has in their physical possession.

However...its broad enough that you really shouldn't sign it without consultation with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">