• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgtjnichols

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arkansas For the last 6 months I have been footing all the bills, says his business is not making any money. which is bull.
He up and left me with all these bills, and was still charging stuff to me which i am getting them in now. I have had cancer so was off work for awhile , then fractured my back after returning to work so have been on Worker' Comp,. Can I in the divorce ask for him to pay half of the bills during that 6 months, and how about alimony? Since I did lose my job during this time. So no job, no money.

dallas702

You'd be a fool NOT to ask for those bills to be paid. As far as alimony, the big question is always: how long were you married, and what was your financial status before the marriage?

sgtjnichols

Need Help ASAP

Arkansas We were married almost 5 yrs. Before I was making more than him, He lived here for the 6 months, (even tho I didnt know he was planning to leave) and didnt give me nothing. All during my cancer was receiving the same check i would have if i was working. His excuse was the business is not making anything right now (new business) . I found out his brother was taking the money, and he knew it. Just didnt want to tell me. I just had back surgery due to fracturing my back after I didnt return to work, then to find out I was terminated from my job due to running out of FMLA. So right now I havent a job, and may have to file bankrupcty to come out of this, I just want half of the bills for the last 6 months he lived here. What is so bad about it He had already rented a house and then 3 days later bought a new truck and telling me no money. I just cant see this

dallas702

You'll both have financial disclosure forms to submit to the court. You have every right to have him pay his share of joint debts. The judge might make him pay all of them since you might have a hard time getting alimony after 5 years. That's not normally long enough for much, but you could be awarded support until you can get back on your feet financially. If you don't request it, it probably won't be awarded. So, shoot for the moon and ask for the bills to be paid, and a couple of years of "alimony" (may be called maintenance or spousal support in Arkansas).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">