• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgtjnichols

What is the name of your state? Arkansas My husband left 2 weeks ago, We have been married almost 5 yrs. During this time for around 4 yrs of it i was making more money than him. I was diagnosed with Cancer and was off work but still getting my checks each month, Then returned to work and fractured my back, so now am on WC. For the last 6 months I have paid all the bills,(says his business wasnt making any money, which is bull) Lost my job, during this time, Is there any way that I could ask for alimony since I really dont know if i can ever work again. Doctor is trying to get me Disabled with my back and the cancer.

VeronicaGia

sgtjnichols said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas My husband left 2 weeks ago, We have been married almost 5 yrs. During this time for around 4 yrs of it i was making more money than him. I was diagnosed with Cancer and was off work but still getting my checks each month, Then returned to work and fractured my back, so now am on WC. For the last 6 months I have paid all the bills,(says his business wasnt making any money, which is bull) Lost my job, during this time, Is there any way that I could ask for alimony since I really dont know if i can ever work again. Doctor is trying to get me Disabled with my back and the cancer.
Your marriage is a short one and you made more money than he did. You can ask for it, but don't be surprised if he asks you to pay him. Even if alimony is awarded, it would be very short term. Neither of you can hope with such a short marriage that you should be supported by the other indefinitely. Nor should either of you be supported by the other indefinitely.

In your situation, I think your best bet is to agree to no alimony from each to the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">