• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paige18

Husband whereabouts unknown-property involved

What is the name of your state?connecticut. Filing for divorce pro se. I don't know where my husband is. I do know he has been doing some illegal activity. I purchased a condo before we were married and refinanced last year adding his name to the mortgage. Concerned about loosing my home due to his actions. Is there anything I can do now? And since I don't know where he is will the judge award me sole ownership and if so how do I go about removing his name from the mortgage?

Last edited:

LdiJ

paige18 said:
What is the name of your state?connecticut. Filing for divorce pro se. I don't know where my husband is. I do know he has been doing some illegal activity. I purchased a condo before we were married and refinanced last year adding his name to the mortgage. Concerned about loosing my home due to his actions. Is there anything I can do now? And since I don't know where he is will the judge award me sole ownership and if so how do I go about removing his name from the mortgage?
Get a consult with an attorney immediately. You really need to know exactly what is your best course of action to protect yourself. A local attorney is your best resource for that.

I suspect that you need to file for divorce and to serve him via publication, hopefully getting the house on a default basis...however, again, a local attorney is your best resource.

dallas702

Hmmm....you say you put him on the mortgage, but did you have his name added to the deed? If so, how was the legal relationship defined on the deed....joint tenancy? If he is only named in the mortgage as a second source of income you might not have a problem as long as you keep the mortgage current. But, LdiJ is right...you better have all the t's crossed and verified by a good attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">