• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deported husband and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeeper72

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My husband got deported to Mexico. How do I serve him if he is unwilling to sign the divorce papers?
Also, we have two children and I'm afraid if I go down to give him the papers he will keep them. He hasn't seen his children in over a year and has never said anything about it.

LdiJ

jeeper72 said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada

My husband got deported to Mexico. How do I serve him if he is unwilling to sign the divorce papers?
Also, we have two children and I'm afraid if I go down to give him the papers he will keep them. He hasn't seen his children in over a year and has never said anything about it.
You don't need his signature to get a divorce. You also don't need to go down there to hand the papers to him personally. If you feel that you must, don't take your children with you.

Why didn't you attempt to legalize his status in the US?

jeeper72

We tried to legalize his status, but it turns out that he got caught crossing the border several years earlier by INS with forged documents. He neglected to tell me prior to INS telling me, which is one more reson for the divorce. Because of this incident, INS deported him and said that he could never return. The imigration lawyer we hired told us there was nothing we could do since the INS was getting stricter.
Does he have a right to visitation of our kids?
Since I'm still paying off the imigration lawyer, I'm trying to find out as much info so I might avoid additional lawyer fees. My first divorce I handled by myself and that went smooth, but this one is not going as smooth.
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">