• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney not present

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamaicah

california
my wife and I are going thru divorce. we had agreed to go into mediation and drop our lawyers. 1 day before the court hearing she calls me to tell me that she is retaining her lawyer and will show up with them. Can I take the fifth until I re-hire my lawyer? or what should I do on such short notice?

LdiJ

jamaicah said:
california
my wife and I are going thru divorce. we had agreed to go into mediation and drop our lawyers. 1 day before the court hearing she calls me to tell me that she is retaining her lawyer and will show up with them. Can I take the fifth until I re-hire my lawyer? or what should I do on such short notice?
You can ask to a continuance to retain counsel.

jamaicah

no lawyer present

LdiJ said:
You can ask to a continuance to retain counsel.
What if her lawyer tomorrow showers me with accusation and blows a lot of hot aire, do I have to answer them ?

rmet4nzkx

What is this hearing for tomorrow? Have you been to orientation and mediation yet? You can't take the 5th, you can ask for a continuance

jamaicah

rmet4nzkx said:
What is this hearing for tomorrow? Have you been to orientation and mediation yet? You can't take the 5th, you can ask for a continuance
we agreed on mediation after the court hearing was set. we were supposed to show up in court tomorrow with no lawyers and ask for a continuance since we will be mediating. she is changed her story now and told me that she is going to fight with her lawyers in court tomorrow.

oh, the hearing was set to argue some allegation she was making against me

Last edited:

LdiJ

jamaicah said:
we agreed on mediation after the court hearing was set. we were supposed to show up in court tomorrow with no lawyers and ask for a continuance since we will be mediating. she is changed her story now and told me that she is going to fight with her lawyers in court tomorrow.

oh, the hearing was set to argue some allegation she was making against me
Again, ask for a continuance to retain counsel. Do that right up front.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">