• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Some Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phatbluidgrl

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? IL

I got married for all the wrong reasons. Jumped from one bad marriage to another. I can't take the verbal abuse. If I moved me and my two children to another state and then filed for divorce can I do that? I don't want him making me come back. Which I doubt that he would cause he has no family here. But, being the jerk that he is, hell find anyway to make me miserable. Please respond. Thanks for your response in advance. :(

LdiJ

phatbluidgrl said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? IL

I got married for all the wrong reasons. Jumped from one bad marriage to another. I can't take the verbal abuse. If I moved me and my two children to another state and then filed for divorce can I do that? I don't want him making me come back. Which I doubt that he would cause he has no family here. But, being the jerk that he is, hell find anyway to make me miserable. Please respond. Thanks for your response in advance. :(
You would have to be in the new state long enough to become a resident of that state (usually 6 months) before you could file for divorce there. At any time during that 6 months he could file for divorce in IL. If the children are also his, he could petition the judge to force you to return the children to IL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">