• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adultry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flutterby3072

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina

ok here is my story.
I have been married 14 years and two years ago my husband cheated on me. It was nothing serious for him as far as feelings so it ended there. Well about 4 months ago he cheated again and this time he says he loves her and wants to be with her and wants to leave me and the kids. I dont have a good job I just have a part time job cause I have always been home to rasie the kids. We own almost 5 acres of land together and two houses on this land. I have no idea what to do and what my rights are. He is still living in the house even though he has left to go to her 3 times. over the weekend. I want to know if someone can tell me what my rights are and if he will have to pay me enough money to live and support my kids. Or will I have to sell the land and house? Cause he says he is giving it all to me. Does that get him off the hook as far as paying spousal support ? or Alamony? If anyone can help me get some peice of mind please do so cause I have lived like this for 4 months and I am not sure how much more I can take... Thanks :confused:

Zephyr

while you may be entitled to support from your husband, and you will definitely be entitled to child support if the children remain with you, you should start now trying to find a full time job that can support you and the kids. you know a rocky road may be ahead of you, it would be silly to wait. and you're going to have lawyer bills soon anyway

pty

flutterby3072 said:
He is still living in the house even though he has left to go to her 3 times. over the weekend.
Are you saying he's still living in your house while continuing to 'leave to go see her'? You're more generous than I would be.

Naturally, he'd be ordered to pay child support. In NC (where I also live), with a 14-year marriage and marital misconduct (I'm sure it would have to be proven or admitted to), alimony is a very good possibility. However, if he's willing to give you the martial assets that would normally be divided 50/50, then the judge is going to take that into consideration, so....you need to talk to an attorney.

http://divorcesupport.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=divorcesupport&zu=http://www.rosen.com/

My disclaimer--I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY

Last edited:

pty

I just have to add this--you can sue *her* for damages. You can sue her for criminal conversation (odd term that just basically means she had sex with your spouse) and alienation of affection (she contributed to or caused the loss of your spouse's affection). There aren't many states that still allow this, but NC is one that does. In NC, if you have an affair with a married person, then you open yourself up to the possibility of a lawsuit.

My disclaimer--I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">