• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultry, First to File, Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbhost

What is the name of your state? MI

Someone told me that there is an advantage when you file before your spouse. She is cheating on me. I am a stay at home dad. Do I have a better chance at custody since I have been the primary caregiver? If I find a full time job will that reduce my chances for primary custody? Will that mean she won't have to pay alimony? Is there any advantage for me in a custody fight if she is an adultress and moving in with her homewrecking boyfriend?

LdiJ

gbhost said:
What is the name of your state? MI

Someone told me that there is an advantage when you file before your spouse. She is cheating on me. I am a stay at home dad. Do I have a better chance at custody since I have been the primary caregiver? If I find a full time job will that reduce my chances for primary custody? Will that mean she won't have to pay alimony? Is there any advantage for me in a custody fight if she is an adultress and moving in with her homewrecking boyfriend?
Believe me I know how badly it hurts when your spouse cheats on you. However you have got to let that go. If you focus on that its going to cause you to make bad decisions Most judges don't care about adultery. In order to do the right thing both for yourself and your children you need to be looking at this calmly and logically, and leave your ego at the door. I know that's tough to do, but your children will be happier in the long run if you can manage it.

Personally I disagree that there is any advantage in filing first. Others believe that there is but I have never seen any real advantage come out of it.

Whether or not you can get alimony depends on the length of your marriage and the amount of time you have been out of the workforce, and why you are out of the workforce. Whether or not you could get a full time job for a reasonable wage makes a difference as well.

Whether or not you would be considered the primary caregiver depends on the ages of your children and how long you have been a stay at home dad. If they are teens and you have only been out of work for 6 months, its very different than if they are little ones and you have stayed home with them for many years.

You will have no choice but to get a full time job. There is little to no chance that you could recieve enough alimony and child support to fully support yourself and your children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">