• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation Agreement Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DANTHONI

What is the name of your state?NEW YORK
I met with a lawyer 3 times (2 hrs ea) to work on a separation agreement. My husband is a repeat adulterer, but I decided not to file on grounds. After meeting with this lawyer, his assistant typed up my agreement (2 months later) which was quite inaccurate. I made all of the corrections, she then sent the agreement to my husband's lawyer. My husband's lawyer then sent their agreement. I knew my lawyer's office had it, but they would not return my calls. Finally, I went there in person and retrieved it. There were a couple of issues that I wanted revised, and gave these revisions to my lawyer's office a month ago. After 2 weeks, I called to see if they sent my husband's lawyer the revisions. No return calls. I called 2 times the following week and the assistant said they were ready to send the revisions. As of 2 days ago, they still did not send the revisions to my husband's attorney. I finally got in touch with the assistant and asked what was going on, she replied, "I told you I was busy!". I informed her that my husband told me that they were filing for a petition in Family court because I failed to finalize the agreement. I asked the assistant to at least call the attorney and let her know that there were revisions. I found out today that she told the attorney that the delays were because of me.
My questions are (1) is my fate in the hands of this stresed out lawyer's assistant? Her work and attitude is rude and unprofessional. (2) What does Family court mean? Is the separation agreement considered in Family court?
I should have filed on grounds but I wanted to spare my children 5,7 & 10. I'm a stay at home mother and even though my husband is completely at fault, he has the nerve to be threatening with the terms of the agreement. Thanks for listening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">