• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get rid of settlement property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ruff

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Divorce was finalized 5/9. He didn't show up at court. As part of the settlement, he was to get some of the furnishings and his personal belongings. There was no timeframe listed in the settlement. What do I do with his stuff? I don't know where he is. Do I have to just keep it until he decides to come get it? I haven't seen his family in 8 months and they won't take any calls from me, but I sent his personal papers (passport, SS card, birth certificate, etc.) to him c/o his Mom certified, return receipt. It was returned to me after the post office made 3 attempts to deliver and they didn't pick it up at the post office. I'm not a public storage facility!

My friend told me that's it's been a "reasonable" amount of time and to give it to the salvation army. Can I do that? I don't want to get in trouble because I didn't do what was in the settlement agreement.

JETX

Ruff said:
There was no timeframe listed in the settlement.
Why not?? A competent attorney should have included one.

My friend told me that's it's been a "reasonable" amount of time and to give it to the salvation army. Can I do that?
Is your friend going to pay your legal fees and sanctions if your ex comes back and wants HIS property??

Simple answer.... no you cannot just toss out someone elses property.

I don't want to get in trouble because I didn't do what was in the settlement agreement.
Then go back to court and get an order as to what you should do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">