• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice for my brother...please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michelew

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Very long story and I'll try to make it short. Brother has been married for 7 years. He has always been the sole financial provider and his wife refuses to work. Their marriage began falling apart about two years ago, and shortly thereafter she got pregnant. The baby was born in January 2005 and my brother left the home at the end of February 2005. There was no legal separation in place at the time he left. He did not rent an apartment, but stayed with a friend and changed a few of his personal bills (his cell phone and his credit card) to that address.
My brother has continued to support his wife and child fully, with his wife still refusing to work. He pays the mortgage, all expenses and provides her with as much money as she needs. He provides medical insurance for her and the baby and has taken the baby to the doctor on several occasions. He has continued to maintain presence in the child's life by visiting on weekend days and during the week after work.
He consulted a lawyer about a divorce and requesting primary custody a few months ago. The lawyer informed him that because there was no separation agreement in place when he left, that the courts would regard his actions as voluntary abandonment and would award sole/primary custody to the wife. The lawyer advised him that the only option he had would be to return home for a significant period of time (90 to 120 days), as if they were reconciling, and then to file for separation.
Is this true? What are his options???

LdiJ

michelew said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

Very long story and I'll try to make it short. Brother has been married for 7 years. He has always been the sole financial provider and his wife refuses to work. Their marriage began falling apart about two years ago, and shortly thereafter she got pregnant. The baby was born in January 2005 and my brother left the home at the end of February 2005. There was no legal separation in place at the time he left. He did not rent an apartment, but stayed with a friend and changed a few of his personal bills (his cell phone and his credit card) to that address.
My brother has continued to support his wife and child fully, with his wife still refusing to work. He pays the mortgage, all expenses and provides her with as much money as she needs. He provides medical insurance for her and the baby and has taken the baby to the doctor on several occasions. He has continued to maintain presence in the child's life by visiting on weekend days and during the week after work.
He consulted a lawyer about a divorce and requesting primary custody a few months ago. The lawyer informed him that because there was no separation agreement in place when he left, that the courts would regard his actions as voluntary abandonment and would award sole/primary custody to the wife. The lawyer advised him that the only option he had would be to return home for a significant period of time (90 to 120 days), as if they were reconciling, and then to file for separation.
Is this true? What are his options???
Realistically, since he wife has not worked and has been a stay at home mother, even if your brother returned to the home for 90-120 days its still not very likely that he would be awarded primary custody. Reality is that judges rarely separate mothers and infants unless the mother can be proven legally unfit....particularly when the mother has been the primary caregiver to the child. The fact that your brother has been the breadwinner of the family has no bearing on custody.

The fact that your brother has done his best to be an involved father however, does mean that he will likely get more parenting time with the child than many other fathers in similar situations....and more quickly.

michelew

thank you for your response! my other questions would be, would his behavior be considered abandonment by the courts and affect any changes for custody or visitation? and being that his wife doesn't plan to go to work, what would the courts require of him financially, outside of child support?

LdiJ

michelew said:
thank you for your response! my other questions would be, would his behavior be considered abandonment by the courts and affect any changes for custody or visitation? and being that his wife doesn't plan to go to work, what would the courts require of him financially, outside of child support?
No, his behavior would not be considered "abandonment" per se. Certainly, the fact that the child remained in mom's custody gives greater weight to the child remaining in mom's custody, but again, realistically mom had the edge for custody anyway.

After a 7 year marriage there is a chance that your brother might be on the hook for some short term, rehabilitative alimony. However the purpose of that would be to allow mom to obtain some job skills so that she can support herself....and it wouldn't last for more than a couple of years. The alimony however wouldn't be guaranteed...its just possible.

Of course when/if mom goes to work, your brother would also be responsible for a portion of the child care costs, and will be responsible for medical insurance as well.

Also, please keep something else in mind. If your brother is in an area where daycare costs for infants is high, your brother might actually be better off paying some alimony for a while rather than paying for daycare. Child support and daycare costs are NOT tax deductable. Alimony IS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">