• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City Ordinance or City harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darrell Smith

What is the name of your state? Alabama
I live in Montgomery, a city with a population over 200,000. It's probally like any other city that size where the different neighborhoods represent ones financial status. I live in a middle class blue collar WORKING neighborhood. Houses sell for between 40 to 65,000. Most of the people keep a nice and clean yard. I have lived here for 18 years. Never new about a city ordinance that states you can't park an automobile in your front yard. I know in some neighborhoods this would be unheard of. But if I had a 3 car garage and a driveway the length of a football feild, I wouldn't need to park in the yard. I would say 50% of our neighborhood does. I'm sure I was not the only one to get a notice from the city, but there is still a lot that didn't. From what I've been told they only enforce it if someone complains. The way I see it is EVERYONE or NO ONE. I (my family) has four cars, three will fit in the driveway. The other one , I park off the drive way at the edge of the yard. The city expects you to park it on the street. Well over the last 17 years I have seen 5 parked cars get hit ,3 fender benders and 2 children on bicycles get hit. The speed limit is 25 MPH. Yep, I feel real secure parking on the street. I am buying my house, I keep the yards neat and clean and most important of all I MIND MY OWN BUSSINESS. I don' care what anybody else does in their yard as long as it don,t bother me or violate any REAL laws. I have a lot of questions about this situation,but I would like to hear someones SERIOUS opinion about this.

Last edited:

CdwJava

These ordinances ARE real laws, and are completely enforceable even if only you got cited. The fact that others might not have been cited is not a defence to the charge against you. But, it might be a political issue to raise to the city council, the media, to local homeowners, etc.

It happens quite a bit that a local ordinance is not enforced until there is a complaint. And this is perfectly lawful.

You might consider getting a copy of the actual ordinance and seeing if all the elements apply to you. It could be that it is worded poorly an in an ambiguous manner such that it is effectively unenforceable. Many local ordinances were written decades ago and have never been challenged. It is often found that they are seriously lacking (in a legal sense) and need to be changed. It is also possible that the violation for which you were cited is not appropriate and your city simply uses it as a tactic to gain compliance.

But, for the time being, I'd suggest you move the car off the lawn.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">