• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated and extremely confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCTrojanX

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

So here's the short story:

We married in Hawaii in 2002, moved to DC/Virginia two months later for my wife's career. I was unable to find consistent work in DC but her career more than covered all our bills. I did cash in my 401k to help set us up with furniture in our new apartment. She decided her family, career and social life all took precedence over our marriage. After fighting came counseling, after counseling came no changes to the marriage. We were both sick of what our marriage became. We both wanted to separate and I came back to my friends and family in Wisconsin.

It has now been 3 months since we separated. When we first separated, we talked often, always civilly at the very least. Now she has gone incommunicado for 2 weeks. I have long past the point of assuming that she wants to save the marriage (why I chose to come to Wisconsin for the separation.) I have no clues as to the lack of contact.

Since I can no longer assume a friendly end to our marriage, I am wondering what our my rights in the situation? I still have quite a lot of belongings at our residence in Virginia but no real way to get to them unless she is willing to let me in the apartment. I am also wondering if there is anyway to receive compensation for the months of unemployment I endured in exchange for advancing her career to triple her previous salary. Further, I've had a hard time finding the appropriate laws of Virginia covering divorce and wonder what actions she could be taking without my knowledge.

Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm completely lost right now and struggling to find answers.

Thank you!

LdiJ

SCTrojanX said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

So here's the short story:

We married in Hawaii in 2002, moved to DC/Virginia two months later for my wife's career. I was unable to find consistent work in DC but her career more than covered all our bills. I did cash in my 401k to help set us up with furniture in our new apartment. She decided her family, career and social life all took precedence over our marriage. After fighting came counseling, after counseling came no changes to the marriage. We were both sick of what our marriage became. We both wanted to separate and I came back to my friends and family in Wisconsin.

It has now been 3 months since we separated. When we first separated, we talked often, always civilly at the very least. Now she has gone incommunicado for 2 weeks. I have long past the point of assuming that she wants to save the marriage (why I chose to come to Wisconsin for the separation.) I have no clues as to the lack of contact.

Since I can no longer assume a friendly end to our marriage, I am wondering what our my rights in the situation? I still have quite a lot of belongings at our residence in Virginia but no real way to get to them unless she is willing to let me in the apartment. I am also wondering if there is anyway to receive compensation for the months of unemployment I endured in exchange for advancing her career to triple her previous salary. Further, I've had a hard time finding the appropriate laws of Virginia covering divorce and wonder what actions she could be taking without my knowledge.

Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm completely lost right now and struggling to find answers.

Thank you!
If you are on the apartment lease, then you have just as much right to enter the apartment as she does. So you can certainly go and fetch your belongings. If you handle it civilly, it shouldn't be a problem. Write her a letter stating when you wish to retrieve your belongings.

Your marriage was very short term. I don't think that there is any way that you could claim any kind of spousal support/alimony. Since she supported you during the marriage, a judge would consider that you have ALREADY been compensated for your lack of employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">