• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to answer phone when company hacks call?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrated101

I live in PA. Hi, I am a nearly 60 yr old out on short term disability. It's obvious from what my doctor has told me that I am done working at my present job (I won't detail medical conditions but suffice it to say that I will probably have no problem getting SSD). He said that unless they can find me a job where I sit most of the time then it will be his opinion that I can no longer work.
My company changed their rules recently to include "you will be periodically required to see any medical doctor the company designates". In the past, this sort of scrutiny was required only for absences while on Workman's Comp.
My doctor fills out the necessary paperwork as they require and it is provided to them by their monthly deadline. I report to the company's physician as required...periodically. Which is...by the way...senseless and unnecessary. I haver been receiving repeated (and sometimes harrassing phone calls) from a medical dept underling. I find the calls and the questions intrusive. She stated that her calls are considered "managed care". Excuse me....I manage my own care...thank you very much. My answering machine broke recently and I am not going to replace it. I screen all my calls and will not answer any that say "Out of Area" or "Caller Unknown" on my caller ID. Anyone calling from my employer would show up on caller ID. Must I talk to this person? Can I request that all communication be postal without sounding uncooperative? It is geting so that I dread it when the phone rings. I can only assume that things will get much worse when I apply for long term disability. Should I see a lawyer now? Thanks for your advice.

remmie2005

Sounds like you have one of those "wonderful" HMO policies through your company.

For starters, I would talk to the "inhouse" company person who handles the insurance. Have
them look in the policy guide book concerning the calls you have been recieving. Also, talk to
the person about the medical underling and the calls you consider harrassing.

If it is listed that you DO have to answer the calls and give them the info they want, there is really
nothing you can do about it. If you refuse to, they could possibly deny your treatments, and it may
also hinder you if/when you file for long term disability/SSDI.

Do that first, before you talk to an attorney.

Going to the doctor periodically is not senseless and unnecessary like you think, if you are expecting
to file for long term disability/SSDI. Every bit of paperwork that comes out of those visits will help
when you file.

Good luck.

somarco

This sounds like a DI claim issue, not medical. As far as I know HMO's do not offer DI coverage unless they have contracted with an ancillary company for those benefits.

If you want to continue receiving DI benefits you need to cooperate. If you don't need the benefits, continue screening your calls.

Eye_Dunno

I went through same with STD.

As far as the phone calls, I found that the ideal to time have doctor appointments, or pharmacy runs, other related "disability" issues. Do take the calls needed, once a week, once a month, whatever is required.

You do have to cooperate, you don't have to let them totally run your life.

"He said that unless they can find me a job where I sit most of the time then it will be his opinion that I can no longer work. "

I would definately look over your policy more for LTD matters. What you just typed above, is "sedentary work". This is often worded in polices as "any occupation". This is how many DI carriers slip out of paying. However if you can do this type work, excellent.

Or seek counsel, if you have the funds available.

somarco

"Any occ" is found in all the lower priced DI plans and those available to unskilled and semi-skilled workers. Some offer "own occ" for 1 - 2 years for many occupations then revert to any occ. For higher skilled employees own occ for 5 years or to age 65 is available for a price.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">