• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce procedure in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DerbyGirl

What is the name of your state? This would concern the state of Florida

Hi – few questions if I may about divorces in Florida.
I am asking this because I think my best friend is totally be strung along – but I could be wrong.
Long story short, she’s getting ready to move to FL to be with this guy who is “getting divorced”. Of course he told her this in February and it’s now July.

I phoned the Seminole County Clerk’s office in March – no record of filing for divorce.

This guy told my friend that his atty told him that once the soon to be ex was served – they would be divorced in 30-60 days.

There is a house & child involved that "supposedly" his wife will have no problem giving both to him.

Then when she was down there in April, it seems that STBex was served (approx April 24). She told me he (guy) had to finish paying his atty before papers would be served & he had finished paying atty.

I found out a few days ago that she’s the one who gave him the money for atty (paid to him – not to atty…stupid in my book but…)

So now, supposedly it’s been over 2 months since the papers were served & there is no court date set yet. I find this VERY hard to believe. I know how my NY divorce went, but of course when I mention this to her she says "Maybe it's different there."

Is it possible?

Thanks,

DG

LdiJ

DerbyGirl said:
What is the name of your state? This would concern the state of Florida

Hi – few questions if I may about divorces in Florida.
I am asking this because I think my best friend is totally be strung along – but I could be wrong.
Long story short, she’s getting ready to move to FL to be with this guy who is “getting divorced”. Of course he told her this in February and it’s now July.

I phoned the Seminole County Clerk’s office in March – no record of filing for divorce.

This guy told my friend that his atty told him that once the soon to be ex was served – they would be divorced in 30-60 days.

There is a house & child involved that "supposedly" his wife will have no problem giving both to him.

Then when she was down there in April, it seems that STBex was served (approx April 24). She told me he (guy) had to finish paying his atty before papers would be served & he had finished paying atty.

I found out a few days ago that she’s the one who gave him the money for atty (paid to him – not to atty…stupid in my book but…)

So now, supposedly it’s been over 2 months since the papers were served & there is no court date set yet. I find this VERY hard to believe. I know how my NY divorce went, but of course when I mention this to her she says "Maybe it's different there."

Is it possible?

Thanks,

DG
I think your friend got conned...big time.

DerbyGirl

LdiJ said:
I think your friend got conned...big time.
LdiJ,

Yes - think so too.
This is just the tip of the iceburg on his stories - can't tell her that though.
Thinks I just don't want to see her "happy"
Anyways, I do have his info..was thinking about calling there but..not sure how good of an idea that would be either.

Thanks,
DG

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">