• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheaterpardee

What is the name of your state? California

My husband had an affair that produced a child. I'm filing for legal separation. If I separate all of our assets before he is ordered to pay child support for this affair baby, will my personal assets (income, properties, etc.) be protected? Help?

LdiJ

cheaterpardee said:
What is the name of your state? California

My husband had an affair that produced a child. I'm filing for legal separation. If I separate all of our assets before he is ordered to pay child support for this affair baby, will my personal assets (income, properties, etc.) be protected? Help?
Your income would be protected anyway. Any assets solely in your name would also be protected anyway. The only assets at risk (and only if he doesn't pay his child support) would be joint assets. So yes, its wise to get everything separated legally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">