• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother is being threatened with suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bummerific

Tennessee

My brother is friends with a girl that is going through a divorce. The woman's husband, or future ex-husband has found out about their friendship and thinks that there is something going on. I am not sure if they have been sleeping together or not but the husband has threantened to sue for "damages" if it comes out that she cheated on him with my brother.

My questions is this: Can my brother be found liable and sued for such allegations even if they were to come out as being true.

LdiJ

Bummerific said:
Tennessee

My brother is friends with a girl that is going through a divorce. The woman's husband, or future ex-husband has found out about their friendship and thinks that there is something going on. I am not sure if they have been sleeping together or not but the husband has threantened to sue for "damages" if it comes out that she cheated on him with my brother.

My questions is this: Can my brother be found liable and sued for such allegations even if they were to come out as being true.
No........

Bummerific

Thanks for the quick response. I had assumed that the threat of a lawsuit was bogus but neither of us were sure. The husband has been going to my brother's place of employment and asking about him, calling him up at home and telling him to leave his wife alone and that the friendship needed to be over and has even threatened physical violence against him as well as myself and other memebers of my family.

Should we just turn out backs and wait for the divorce to be final or should we take action against this man. Many of the things that he does could be loosely classified as stalking.

LdiJ

Bummerific said:
Thanks for the quick response. I had assumed that the threat of a lawsuit was bogus but neither of us were sure. The husband has been going to my brother's place of employment and asking about him, calling him up at home and telling him to leave his wife alone and that the friendship needed to be over and has even threatened physical violence against him as well as myself and other memebers of my family.

Should we just turn out backs and wait for the divorce to be final or should we take action against this man. Many of the things that he does could be loosely classified as stalking.
A restraining order may be appropriate in this situation. It sounds like hubby isn't coping well with the divorce.

Bummerific

No he is not coping well with the divorce. My brother is 22, a college student and a manager of a restaurant. I think that the husband is a little worried that someone might come and "steal" his wife away from him as opposed to him being the reason for the divorce.

The wife's sister is going through a divorce at the same time and the bad thing is that she is using her brother-in-law's lawyer. "Shannon" as I'll refer to her is telling the wife's husband all sorts of things, none of which are true and guiding him in the direction that she cheated on him. Now this thirty something man is worried that my 22 year old brother is going to be looked at as dad to his children. I'm just worried for my brother considering the man has several guns and is as "redneck" as you can get.

But thank you for your help, I guess we'll be looking into a restraining order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">