• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury in Retail Store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RBC

What is the name of your state? FL and NC

Greetings,

While on vacation in NC, my wife had an accident in a retail store whereby a garden ornament with a spike rolled off a table and pierced her foot. The area in which she was shopping in was highly disorganized, with items simply strewn about tables. We visited the local emergency room for treatment, and of course the incident cut our vacation short.

The stores insurance company has been in contact with us, as they would like to close out the claim. We are not looking for a long, drawn out personal injury suit, however our concern is that after nearly one year, my wife is still having serious pain from the accident, despite numerous rounds of therapy.

As I understand it, our medical expenses should be reimbursed, but what other compensation should we expect? If her pain persists, and orthopedic shoes are necessary, is this covered in the settlement? What is a typical settlement in a case of this nature? Can we counter the insurance companies offer (if necessary) to make sure any future expenses are covered?

Thanks!

djohnson

To get a large amount (or even have a good chance in court) you would have to show that they were negligient. That they knew it was going to happen and could have prevented it. At this point do you even have witnesses that stuff was strewn? I think if they are paying medical bills and offering a settlement, you are lucky, they don't have to.

PinHead

lawyer

you can file a long term disability claim something like that so that you will be reimbursed with your expenses even though the accident had happen for quite sometime already...

just be properly ducumented with those things that should be done in the future so that the insurance will also take care of the expenses...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">