• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this really a case for small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

protime

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

I run a residential clening business. 4 months ago someone questioned us relative to missing $300 she left out in the open. We actually cleaned the house twice in the time frame(3 weeks) she said she noticed it was missing.

We informed her that we did not see the money. I feel real confident in the team I had cleaning the house - we did not take it. She discontinued the service for another reason.

Now 4 months later, she says she wants to be compensated for the loss. She has indicated she would be taking us to small claims court.

If she is claiming theft is that even a case for small claims court?

We could settle, but I'm convinced we are not guilty. She has no proof other than a receipt from the bank indicating she took the money out of the bank.

Do I swallow my pride on this one?

divgradcurl

protime said:
What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

I run a residential clening business. 4 months ago someone questioned us relative to missing $300 she left out in the open. We actually cleaned the house twice in the time frame(3 weeks) she said she noticed it was missing.

We informed her that we did not see the money. I feel real confident in the team I had cleaning the house - we did not take it. She discontinued the service for another reason.

Now 4 months later, she says she wants to be compensated for the loss. She has indicated she would be taking us to small claims court.

If she is claiming theft is that even a case for small claims court?

We could settle, but I'm convinced we are not guilty. She has no proof other than a receipt from the bank indicating she took the money out of the bank.

Do I swallow my pride on this one?
Yes, this is a small claims case. Theft can be criminal, but it can also be civil -- it's called "conversion" in the civil case.

As to whether you should settle of not, it depends on what your time is worth. She has the burden of proving that you took (or "converted") the money -- if she doesn't have the evidence, she won't win. If you don't think she has the evidence, and don't mind spending a day in court, then fight it. If you would rather not hassle with the day in court, settle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">