• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freezing The Funds???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shanghaisally

What is the name of your state?I am from Michigan, currently am an expat living in Shanghai, China. I have been married 32 years. We sold our home prior to moving, all of our assets are liquid (stocks, etc.). If I file for divorce, will assets be frozen so funds can NOT be taken out and hidden? How is my husband served papers. I am flying back for a "visit" and can take care of these things. HELP.

LdiJ

shanghaisally said:
What is the name of your state?I am from Michigan, currently am an expat living in Shanghai, China. I have been married 32 years. We sold our home prior to moving, all of our assets are liquid (stocks, etc.). If I file for divorce, will assets be frozen so funds can NOT be taken out and hidden? How is my husband served papers. I am flying back for a "visit" and can take care of these things. HELP.
If you intend to divorce in the US, then you will have to remain here for at least six months to re-establish residency first. What I did when I divorced (because I didn't trust my ex with money...sigh) was I simply took my half. That way I didn't have to worry about what happened with his half.

I did however make sure that I had good, solid documentation of exactly what we had when we split up.

shanghaisally

Freezing Funds!

Michigan. Our house sale went through this past June. Been legally w/o US residency for a bit over one month. Does that help my 180 day requirement?

You make a very good case. I believe one lump amount is the only way to settle. I would never see the checks. He could quit his job and live on next to nothing here. All funds would be transferred and unobtainable.

Looks like I say "good bye" to all my possessions. Taking them would alert him and start a the "financial flood gates". He has access to too much cash which could be taken out of accounts.

Thanks for the advice............

LdiJ

shanghaisally said:
Michigan. Our house sale went through this past June. Been legally w/o US residency for a bit over one month. Does that help my 180 day requirement?

You make a very good case. I believe one lump amount is the only way to settle. I would never see the checks. He could quit his job and live on next to nothing here. All funds would be transferred and unobtainable.

Looks like I say "good bye" to all my possessions. Taking them would alert him and start a the "financial flood gates". He has access to too much cash which could be taken out of accounts.

Thanks for the advice............
You can check with an attorney on the residency....however I don't think that owning a home in the US necessarily qualifies you to have residency in a specific state. However a local attorney can give you a more specific answer on that.

Yeah...I think its better if you liberate your half of the funds ASAP. If he transfers them out of the US you are sol.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">