• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think I might be married to two people... not on purpose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottspixie

What is the name of your state? California

I married my husband 2 years ago on the 19 of July, but I just found out that I might still be married to my ex. I didnt not do this on purpose I thought I was divorced from my ex. I know that bigamly is a crime... but how do I solve this problem without going to jail because of a mistake??? If I get an annulment from my hasband, totally divorce my ex, can I re-marry my husband and have it be leagal? I really want to be leagally married to my husband, I dont even know how to get into contact with my ex, if he is alive or what... :confused:

djohnson

Why did you think you were divorced? Why do you think now that you are not? If you are still married to your first husband, the second one is not legal.

scottspixie

when the divorce was final i wasnt present... and i never recieved anything saying it was final, i hounded him about it but got no where, pretty much im just stupid, is that what you wanted to here? All i need is help, not negative comments. Im only 21 and didnt really know how all that stuff worked. (the divorce was when i was only 19 years old!!! When I went to fill out some personal paper work they asked for my divorce paperwork. I told them I never got any. Thank you for your comment, but if you only have a negative attack, please dont respond. :(

Last edited:

LdiJ

scottspixie said:
when the divorce was final i wasnt present... and i never recieved anything saying it was final, i hounded him about it but got no where, pretty much im just stupid, is that what you wanted to here? All i need is help, not negative comments. Im only 21 and didnt really know how all that stuff worked. (the divorce was when i was only 19 years old!!! When I went to fill out some personal paper work they asked for my divorce paperwork. I told them I never got any. Thank you for your comment, but if you only have a negative attack, please dont respond. :(
Hon, that wasn't a negative attack...it was a sincere question.

Ok, you don't know whether or not your divorce was finalized. So what you need to do is check with the courthouse where the divorce was filed. You can review your file to see whether or not the divorce was finalized.

If it wasn't...then it would really be best to get an attorney to help you straighten everything out.

scottspixie

Thats what I was affriad of... to make matters a little more complicated my husband is a Marine. Military Law is diffent, I dont want him to go to the brigg over my mistake, that isnt fair to him. That is why I am terrified, and dont know what to do. My husand doesnt know about this yet, and I know it will break his heart to know that we werent married. Then he will be angry if he has to pay for my HUGE mistake. I know this isnt the military law area, but it certainly makes it more complicated, and more expensive, we are paid so little we qualify for almost every low income program that there is. I know I will have to switch from Part time to full at my job to be able to help pay for this... which will make it that much more difficult and painful since I wont get to see my husband that much. Thank you, I guess I am just super emotional.

LdiJ

scottspixie said:
Thats what I was affriad of... to make matters a little more complicated my husband is a Marine. Military Law is diffent, I dont want him to go to the brigg over my mistake, that isnt fair to him. That is why I am terrified, and dont know what to do. My husand doesnt know about this yet, and I know it will break his heart to know that we werent married. Then he will be angry if he has to pay for my HUGE mistake. I know this isnt the military law area, but it certainly makes it more complicated, and more expensive, we are paid so little we qualify for almost every low income program that there is. I know I will have to switch from Part time to full at my job to be able to help pay for this... which will make it that much more difficult and painful since I wont get to see my husband that much. Thank you, I guess I am just super emotional.
This is NOT going to get your husband in any trouble. The worst that can happen is that he would be viewed as a victim. This isn't his crime. The military doesn't even need to know what's going on.

You don't even necessarily need to say anything to your husband until you know for sure whether or not your divorce was finalized. So stop panicking about everything and go find out. You may find that you worried yourself for no reason. If you do find out that it wasn't finalized....then consult an attorney to find out what you need to do to fix the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">