• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident at the gas pump

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Really Ticked

What is the name of your state? Georgia

On 9/28/04, I was on my way to work when I stopped for gasoline. I only had $7 cash on me, and that was all that I intended to put in. I pumped, and slowed the pump at around $6.75 and stopped it at exactly $7. I removed the pump and went to put it back when it began to spray uncontrollably in the air. I actually dropped it, and went to pick it up again to try to stop it. (Yes, I should have ran away, but I wasn't thinking!) By this time, I was drenched and could taste it in my mouth. I went in to the attendant and told them what happened, handed over the gasoline-soaked $7 (Even though it sprayed .42 extra!!) and then he followed me outside. He put gravel on the ground where it had spilled and put a bag over the pump. He asked me if I was okay, and I said I would like to use the phone. I called my husband and told him I was coming home and then called my job and told them I wasn't coming in because of what happened. The man asked if I was okay again, and I told him I was very concerned because I was 6 weeks pregnant. He became very nervous and got a pen and paper to take my information for the manager. I drove myself home, coughing and having a hard time breathing. When I got home, I called poison control who called me in to the ER ahead of time to let them know I was coming. I spent about 4 hours at the ER on IV meds and went through a plethora of tests. I was released after my symptoms subsided. I did file a claim with their insurance company, which they of course denied, saying they didn't have any records of anything being wrong with the pump. I of course kept all of my OB appointments and had some complications. A tumor was growing on my right ovary which was right under the baby. My blood pressure was sky-high throughout the pregnancy. During labor and delivery, I suffered a placental abruption and nearly bled to death and almost lost my daughter during the emergency c-section. Is this something worth pursuing? My doctor and my daughter's pediatrician both agree that there is know way of knowing what kind of complications she might have later in life. The accident happened at the most critical time of my pregnancy - during the first trimester. The docs just said we need to keep a close eye on her to make sure she is developing normally.

JETX

Really Ticked said:
Is this something worth pursuing?
The one thing that is missing in your entire post.... and would be CRITICAL in determining what options, if any, you may have is....
What evidence can you present that ANY of the circumstances were related, in any way, to the gasoline incident??
Also, what evidence, if any, can you present that the gasoline incident was a fault of the station??
I have seen lots of cases (even to me) where in removing the pump from the nozzle, I had either over-filled the tank or somehow inadvertently pressed the handle on the pump nozzle.

Really Ticked

Yeah, you're totally right. Even the rep for their insurance company (who has been so nice to me), brought that up. She did tell me that they pulled their maintenance records and had no record of anything being wrong with that pump. She did tell me that after the incident, it was tested and nothing came up wrong. The only thing I wish they had, was a videotape or something. There really is no evidence as to the pump going haywire...only that I was covered in it (completely drenched) and had it in my system at the hospital.

As for the medical side of it, my doctor's all say there are no studies for things like this. The tumor was found a few weeks later at my first OBGYN appointment after the accident happened. It wasn't very big, but it was growing. It did continue to grow during the pregnancy. I have a post-partum ultrasound to check it again next week. As for my daughter, it's just like they said. There are no studies to determine if I hurt my daughter by swallowing the gasoline. I'm just scared that it did affect her and there will be a study some day to show how dangerous it was to the fetus.

teflon_jones

Without proof that the gas station was at fault for having a faulty pump, you have no case against anyone except yourself. I have no reason to doubt your story, but without proof, it's just that, a story.

The growth on your ovary may be a cyst, not a tumor. These are very common during pregnancy and often shrink and disappear afterwards. You should keep monitoring as your're planning to do to see if it's a common cyst that will disappear.

I hope everything turns out ok with your daughter. I'm sure she'll be fine.

funkymonkey

One last suggestion

You might check with the police dept. to see if there has been any reports filed or suits filed on this station showing negligence or other claims made my other customers. This may not have been the first time this has happened. You have nothing to lose by checking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">