• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice related Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msamson

What is the name of your state? Texas

My wife filed a petition for dissolution of marriage with the Californa Suprior court. We are married since 88 and lived in Texas and other states. Never lived in California as a couple.

We are physically separated for the last 7 years. She moved to California and I was helping her financially all this time.

We don't have childrens or community propert (home).

I acquired some 401 K benefits from my work after the separation.

Should I fight court Jurisdiction to file in Texas instead of CA?
Does she have legal right in wealth acquired after the separation?

Thanks.

LdiJ

msamson said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

My wife filed a petition for dissolution of marriage with the Californa Suprior court. We are married since 88 and lived in Texas and other states. Never lived in California as a couple.

We are physically separated for the last 7 years. She moved to California and I was helping her financially all this time.

We don't have childrens or community propert (home).

I acquired some 401 K benefits from my work after the separation.

Should I fight court Jurisdiction to file in Texas instead of CA?
Does she have legal right in wealth acquired after the separation?

Thanks.
If she is a legal resident of CA she had every right to file in CA. You really can't challenge the jurisidiction. If you weren't legally separated then yes, she may have claim against post separation assets. If the amount of money in the 401k is significant...and she is going after a share...then it would probably be in your best interests to get an attorney. However, if it would cost you more to pay an attorney than her possible share of the 401k....then maybe it would be better to represent yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">