• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long term seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

An8skate

What is the name of your state? California

I am married to a Panamanian ( We were married in June of 93' in the country of Panama) woman and we seperated after 2 1/2 yrs of marriage. That was in 1995 (the seperation) and we didn't do a legal seperation. I left Panama a year later. Originally I just didn't havethe finances to afford a lawyer when I did have the money, she disapeared w/ my son for 3 years. We have a son and I was able to visit him recently (Once she made contact).

I want a divorce but Im wondering if the marriage is still recognize as a legal marriage or if there is anything I can do to make it easier because of the 10 yrs of seperation.

Right now Im on disability and will be having surgery done on my neck, in which I am on a fixed budget until Im recovered and can work again. What is the law covering that? How is child support when the payee of support is on disability?

Last edited:

LdiJ

An8skate said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am married to a Panamanian ( We were married in June of 93' in the country of Panama) woman and we seperated after 2 1/2 yrs of marriage. That was in 1995 (the seperation) and we didn't do a legal seperation. I left Panama a year later. Originally I just didn't havethe finances to aford a lawyer when I did have it, she disapeared w/ my son for 3 years. We have a son and I was able to visit him recently (Once she made contact).

I want a divorce but Im wondering if the marriage is still recognize as a legal marriage or if there is anything I can do to make it easier because of the 10 yrs of seperation.
Yes the marriage is legal, and no, you can't make the divorce process any quicker or easier just because you have been separated for so long. Some issues may be less complicated due to the long separation...but you still have to go through the normal process of divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">