• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes co-mingling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

INASNAP

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?VA
After our separation my wife asked if we she could have our taxes done jointly, I questioned her inheirtance (her parents had recently passed) she assured me there would be no captial gains (or any added cost to me). When prepared I signed them without looking over the taxes. When I asked for a copy of the taxes later she was resisted and was slow giving them to me. As I had suppected there was 15000 in capital gains, she gave me half of the return check(minus half of the CPA fee) I feel that I have paid half of her capital gains, and I was told that captial gain taxes are 15% thats about $1000 and now she and her lawer have had the taxes redone (not refiled just redone , cooked I'm sure) and want to give me only $300,First how can I get the taxes I've paid (small claims court ?) or is paying taxes on her captial gains considered co mingling. (I never recived any of 'her' money)
Thanks Daniel Cross

LdiJ

INASNAP said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?VA
After our separation my wife asked if we she could have our taxes done jointly, I questioned her inheirtance (her parents had recently passed) she assured me there would be no captial gains (or any added cost to me). When prepared I signed them without looking over the taxes. When I asked for a copy of the taxes later she was resisted and was slow giving them to me. As I had suppected there was 15000 in capital gains, she gave me half of the return check(minus half of the CPA fee) I feel that I have paid half of her capital gains, and I was told that captial gain taxes are 15% thats about $1000 and now she and her lawer have had the taxes redone (not refiled just redone , cooked I'm sure) and want to give me only $300,First how can I get the taxes I've paid (small claims court ?) or is paying taxes on her captial gains considered co mingling. (I never recived any of 'her' money)
Thanks Daniel Cross
None of this makes much sense from a tax standpoint. Inheritances don't normally result in capital gains. Disposal of assets obtain in an inheritance can...but its still a bit unusual. Order a tax return transcript from the IRS of the actual return that was filed....and then take it to a tax preparer to see how it would have panned out if you had filed "married filing separately".

Its possible that you wouldn't have come out any better. However you definitely can't take any action unless you can prove that you were harmed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">