• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheaterpardee

What is the name of your state? California

My husband and I are currently separated. We are no longer living together because he is currently in counseling. There is a chance that we may get back together if all goes well with his counseling, but I feel like I need to protect myself and my assets. I have consulted with several attorneys who have stated that a legal separation is just like a divorce, you just check a different box, which means the cost is practically the same as a divorce. Since there is a chance that we may get back together, I have checked on the internet for separation agreements. I found one company that includes a letter that you can get signed by an attorney. My question is whether or not these agreements are legal? Can't we just write up our own agreement and get it notarized? Please Help!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">