• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy Question???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marine68

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Ok this is very Jerry Springer. My ex-wife married the man she cheated on me with 5 years ago. I have sole custody of our son. She has recently remarried another man. But come to find out she never divorced her last husband. The current husband had no idea so of course he has now kicked her out. She is also fraudulently claiming our son for food stamps under her "real" married name. She is claiming she doesn't remember getting married because she was on prescribed pain medicine along with illegal drugs. According to her dad they are investigating and she may be prosecuted for a felony for the bigamy and fraud for the food stamps. Her father thinks that she may get out of it due to the drugs involved. Due they usually prosecute for something like this and how much jail time might she recieve?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Marine68 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

Ok this is very Jerry Springer. My ex-wife married the man she cheated on me with 5 years ago. I have sole custody of our son. She has recently remarried another man. But come to find out she never divorced her last husband. The current husband had no idea so of course he has now kicked her out. She is also fraudulently claiming our son for food stamps under her "real" married name. She is claiming she doesn't remember getting married because she was on prescribed pain medicine along with illegal drugs. According to her dad they are investigating and she may be prosecuted for a felony for the bigamy and fraud for the food stamps. Her father thinks that she may get out of it due to the drugs involved. Due they usually prosecute for something like this and how much jail time might she recieve?

My response:

Yes. Lots.

IAAL

Marine68

Thanks IAAL

I have one more question if you woldn't mind. My ex has also been diagnosed as Bi-Polar and Borderline Personality. In addition to the drugs she is claiming she wasn't aware of what she was doing due to her mental illness. Is it likely this claim will get her out of jail time? I can't imagine how you could legitimately claim you didn't realize you married someone when you stayed married to them for several months. But looks like that's what she's going to try.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Marine68 said:
Thanks IAAL

I have one more question if you woldn't mind. My ex has also been diagnosed as Bi-Polar and Borderline Personality. In addition to the drugs she is claiming she wasn't aware of what she was doing due to her mental illness. Is it likely this claim will get her out of jail time? I can't imagine how you could legitimately claim you didn't realize you married someone when you stayed married to them for several months. But looks like that's what she's going to try.

My response:

You know, it's absolutely amazing that we have anyone in our jails or prisons at all because, as you know, they all committed their crimes while on drugs, were bi-polar, or were suffering some other malady.

Since our prisons and jails are empty, there's no reason why she'll have to suffer a conviction either.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

Neither Bi-polar/Borderline and/or Rx used to treat same will adversley affect memory, if anything they are likely to cling to the person they are attached to very, very tightly even medicated. There are some other disorders, which have those traits and a tendenancy for use of illegal substances which might affect their Beliefs as opposed to memory, however they are still responsible for their actions like anyone else. Jail may be a place where she thrives due to the structure and freedom from having to make decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">