• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

naz1976

What is the name of your state? New York
My husband left our home a month and a half ago. The lease for the apartment is in his name only. He asked me to stay here and pay the rent so the landlord won't sue him. He has told me on many occasions that he has no intentions of returning anytime soon and is in the process of getting his own place. Am I legally obligated to stay in an apartment that I really can't afford and support two children?

Last edited:

LdiJ

naz1976 said:
What is the name of your state? New York
My husband left our home a month and a half ago. The lease for the apartment is in his name only. He asked me to stay here and pay the rent so the landlord won't sue him. He has told me on many occasions that he has no intentions of returning anytime soon and is in the process of getting his own place. Am I legally obligated to stay in an apartment that I really can't afford and support two children?
Tell him that you can't afford the apartment and will be moving...and that its up to him to settle things with the landlord. However, you need to do this before he signs a second lease on another place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">