• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

girlfriend is leaving and taking my kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inneedofhelp05

What is the name of your state?California
My girlfriend and I are separating. We are not legally married but she is taking both of my kids. What do I do as far as maintaining legal rights to visitation? We have divided the days we will see our kids evenly through the week, so that is a start, how does that affect child support? I am currently going to school full time and I am not working due to the extensive level of demand by the school. She says that I will be forced to get a job and pay her. I know it is my abligation to help her for child support, but she wants to use the money to pay her bills and rent. That means I am not helping my children I am helping her?Can I keep the kids, after I graduate, which will be in April of 2006? Can my parents get a visitation day assigned for them since they love their grandchildren?My girlfriend and I lived together for 5 years, do I have to give her alimony?While we were together I payed for 90% of the home financial resposabilities, how does help me?

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

inneedofhelp05 said:
What is the name of your state?California
My girlfriend and I are separating. We are not legally married but she is taking both of my kids. What do I do as far as maintaining legal rights to visitation? We have divided the days we will see our kids evenly through the week, so that is a start, how does that affect child support? I am currently going to school full time and I am not working due to the extensive level of demand by the school. She says that I will be forced to get a job and pay her. I know it is my abligation to help her for child support, but she wants to use the money to pay her bills and rent. That means I am not helping my children I am helping her?Can I keep the kids, after I graduate, which will be in April of 2006? Can my parents get a visitation day assigned for them since they love their grandchildren?My girlfriend and I lived together for 5 years, do I have to give her alimony?
I suggest you get down to the family law facilitator's office and petition for joint custody and visitation etc. There is a calculation for determining child support. I worked full time, raised a family, did community work and earned BA, MA & PhD, I don't see why you can't work and go to school.

inneedofhelp05

Thank you

Thank you for the info. I will do that. Do not get me wrong. I put my self through college and worked three jobs to do that. However I am close to getting my degree and if you know about Art Center than you would understand that only the top 3 get jobs. So going through it with a family was already a challenge on its own. I do appreciate your advice and thank you for it. And Also congratulate you on your accomplishments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">