• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

naz1976

What is the name of your state? New York
My husband is moving into his own place in August because he says we need space and time to work on our marriage. My friends and family keep insisting that I get legal separation agreement. I have asked my husband whether or not he wants a divorce and he always replies by saying, "no". He hasn't stated how long ths separation is going to be. Should I get a file a legal separation agreement? What are the pros and cons to a legal separation agreement? :confused:

LdiJ

naz1976 said:
What is the name of your state? New York
My husband is moving into his own place in August because he says we need space and time to work on our marriage. My friends and family keep insisting that I get legal separation agreement. I have asked my husband whether or not he wants a divorce and he always replies by saying, "no". He hasn't stated how long ths separation is going to be. Should I get a file a legal separation agreement? What are the pros and cons to a legal separation agreement? :confused:
The biggest advantages to the legal separation are financial issues. You aren't responsible for his post separation debts and he isn't responsible for yours. It also can settle property issues so that everyone knows what belongs to whom. Plus, if you decide a year later than you are not getting back together...then you will have already met the required 1 year of legal separation and will be able to proceed with a divorce, without complications.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">