• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appreciation on premarital asset?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JaneSherwood

What is the name of your state? - Ohio

My husband owned a piece of property when we were married. It has appreciated in value by about $85,000 because we have put a lot of work and money into it. I think we are going to get divorced. If so, would I be entitled to any of the appreciation on this property since, even though he owned it when we married, I helped create the increased value? I've talked to two lawyers about this... One thought that I would be entitled to half the appreciation, and the other said I wasn't entitled to anything.

Thank you.

LdiJ

JaneSherwood said:
What is the name of your state? - Ohio

My husband owned a piece of property when we were married. It has appreciated in value by about $85,000 because we have put a lot of work and money into it. I think we are going to get divorced. If so, would I be entitled to any of the appreciation on this property since, even though he owned it when we married, I helped create the increased value? I've talked to two lawyers about this... One thought that I would be entitled to half the appreciation, and the other said I wasn't entitled to anything.

Thank you.
You should be entitled to half of the appreciation that took place during the marriage. However I would strongly recommend that you don't attempt to handle the case without an attorney....and particularly without one that doesn't believe in your "cause". Remember...attorneys can also have biases...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">