• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a Default Judgement be amended?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MistyBlue44

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My brother got divorce last year in May. he did not get a lawyer, he ex did. Well her lawyer was a moron and put in the papers that the Plaintiff shall pay child support to the defendent. She was the plaintiff and my niece was living with her at the time. When the divorce became final my niece came to live with my brother for about 3 months and then we back to her mom for 4 months and has now been living with my brother for 7 months. Well they finally got around to taking out the child support from my sister in law and now her lawyer submitted a motion to amend the default judgement. Can he do that if my niece is living with my brother. Is there anything my brother can do to stop it. Would it be worth it for him to go to court on that day? Her lawyer said it was a typographical error. Someone please help???

LdiJ

MistyBlue44 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My brother got divorce last year in May. he did not get a lawyer, he ex did. Well her lawyer was a moron and put in the papers that the Plaintiff shall pay child support to the defendent. She was the plaintiff and my niece was living with her at the time. When the divorce became final my niece came to live with my brother for about 3 months and then we back to her mom for 4 months and has now been living with my brother for 7 months. Well they finally got around to taking out the child support from my sister in law and now her lawyer submitted a motion to amend the default judgement. Can he do that if my niece is living with my brother. Is there anything my brother can do to stop it. Would it be worth it for him to go to court on that day? Her lawyer said it was a typographical error. Someone please help???
As far as the court order is concerned her attorney is right. It was a typographical error and its correct for it to be fixed.

If the child is living with your brother then your brother should file for primary custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">