• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home, divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pab33

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?PA
I plan to file for divorce from my husband of 15 years in the very near future. Our home is in both of our names however, I don't want the house in the settlement. Once I have the papers served to him, can he have me evicted from the house? We have two children in school and having me move out will cause school district issues for the kids. Had hoped to try to stay until a settlement was pending so the kids could stay in their schools. I plan to eventually live in the area but can't do that until I have a settlement. :confused:

LdiJ

pab33 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?PA
I plan to file for divorce from my husband of 15 years in the very near future. Our home is in both of our names however, I don't want the house in the settlement. Once I have the papers served to him, can he have me evicted from the house? We have two children in school and having me move out will cause school district issues for the kids. Had hoped to try to stay until a settlement was pending so the kids could stay in their schools. I plan to eventually live in the area but can't do that until I have a settlement. :confused:
No, he cannot evict you from a home that you own. You can stay in the home until the judge tells you its time to move out.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
But assuming that the house is marital property, it's going to be part of the property settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">