• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending divorce, personal residences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lynnrae98

I live in Pennsylvania. My husband and I seperated four years ago and were nearly divorced. During that time we came to a settlement agreement and our marital home was put in my name only, while he retained a seperate home, business and cash. We reconciled for less than a year and re-seperated with our divorce now pending signature of final property settlement agreement (which is agreed upon). I live with our children in the home that was previously jointly owned but is solely in my name now as well as the mortgage and he lives in his own home. He has no belongings here and has banking accounts, etc with his own, seperate address on them. I'm in the process of having some work done on my house by a friend that my soon-to-be exhusband strongly dislikes. He has expressed that if he becomes aware that the person is at my home, he will come here and start a physical altercation and has actually stated that he will kill the person. My husband has not been violent with me in the past but he has a very volatile temper and has acted violently toward others in the past. He has stated that his attorney has told him that he has the right to be enter my home because our divorce is not yet final and that in the event of an altercation he would be justified. Is this in fact true?

LdiJ

Lynnrae98 said:
I live in Pennsylvania. My husband and I seperated four years ago and were nearly divorced. During that time we came to a settlement agreement and our marital home was put in my name only, while he retained a seperate home, business and cash. We reconciled for less than a year and re-seperated with our divorce now pending signature of final property settlement agreement (which is agreed upon). I live with our children in the home that was previously jointly owned but is solely in my name now as well as the mortgage and he lives in his own home. He has no belongings here and has banking accounts, etc with his own, seperate address on them. I'm in the process of having some work done on my house by a friend that my soon-to-be exhusband strongly dislikes. He has expressed that if he becomes aware that the person is at my home, he will come here and start a physical altercation and has actually stated that he will kill the person. My husband has not been violent with me in the past but he has a very volatile temper and has acted violently toward others in the past. He has stated that his attorney has told him that he has the right to be enter my home because our divorce is not yet final and that in the event of an altercation he would be justified. Is this in fact true?
No, he doesn't have the right to enter your home. Change the locks if you haven't already done so and keep the doors locked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">