• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When does the Marriage Clock Stop ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlundy

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am starting the divorce process and my wife is moving out this month, will that stop the clock on the length of our marrage? I've heard there is a new law or soon to be that stops the clock once one party files, is this true?

pammness

I Dont Think So

Virginia here: The clocks stop when judge hears/sees your case and you are granted a divorce. I am not sure why your asking this... Once you start the process certain entitlements change. Marriage is not over until divorce is granted. Here in Virginia there is a wait time, 6 months without children, with children 1 year. This is on un-contested cases. Or if issues are resolved during said time. Check your local sate laws to be sure. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">