• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance marital property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patty1965

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MI

I very recently received a rather large inheritance from my Uncle and deposited it in a joint bank account. My husband is now saying he wants a divorce and is entitled to 1/2 because we have been married for over 20 years. Is this true in Michigan?

Thank you in advance for any input.

LdiJ

patty1965 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MI

I very recently received a rather large inheritance from my Uncle and deposited it in a joint bank account. My husband is now saying he wants a divorce and is entitled to 1/2 because we have been married for over 20 years. Is this true in Michigan?

Thank you in advance for any input.
Normally an inheritance is separate property. However, since you deposited it into a joint bank account that gets problematic....get it out if you can...and consult a local attorney.

nextwife

The key to keeping Seperate property Seperate is to NOT "co-mingle" it into joint funds. All you needed to do to keep it seperate was to place it into an account in your name when you recieved it. I agree that NOW claiming it is seperate property may be more difficult, especially if there were other marital funds in the account.

patty1965

thank you

There were marital funds in the account but not really that much. I added something in the 9 zeros range. He hasn't been to an attorney yet as far as I know and has threatened that if I try to take it out he can have everything frozen. The money has only been in the account about 3 months so it's not like it has been there for years and earned interest or had taxes paid on it. Right now, it hasn't cost him a penny and he hasn't contributed a thing to getting it.

I know I need to make an appointment with an attorney, I just really don't want a divorce so I hate to take any action that might make it look like I am planning for one. I really hope all this blows over and I'm afraid if I do anything it might make things worse.

LdiJ

patty1965 said:
There were marital funds in the account but not really that much. I added something in the 9 zeros range. He hasn't been to an attorney yet as far as I know and has threatened that if I try to take it out he can have everything frozen. The money has only been in the account about 3 months so it's not like it has been there for years and earned interest or had taxes paid on it. Right now, it hasn't cost him a penny and he hasn't contributed a thing to getting it.

I know I need to make an appointment with an attorney, I just really don't want a divorce so I hate to take any action that might make it look like I am planning for one. I really hope all this blows over and I'm afraid if I do anything it might make things worse.
9 zeros is a heck of alot of money. You REALLY need to get it out of that account and into an account in just your name. I understand that you don't want to make anything worse...but hon...for your husband to decide he wants a divorce shortly after you recieve a large inheritance is very suspect.

Move that money and consult an attorney! NOW! What are you going to do if HE moves it? As long as its in an account in both names he CAN do that.

patty1965

To be honest, that thought hadn't occured to me. I know that's a lot of zeros. If it wasn't so much I wouldn't have been so concerned.

I still don't want this to happen but I have an appointment next week to get some advice on how best to handle it.

Thank you

LdiJ

patty1965 said:
To be honest, that thought hadn't occured to me. I know that's a lot of zeros. If it wasn't so much I wouldn't have been so concerned.

I still don't want this to happen but I have an appointment next week to get some advice on how best to handle it.

Thank you
Get that money out of that account before your husband does something with it. Please don't be foolish.....he may already have done it.

virtualbeauty

Omg !

Girl get your money out of there . I know you don't want a divorce - that is your Husband , but he is acting like he does not care and being this the case move that money to a private account before it is too late !! Should he decide to move on with his life today , you'll be taken to the cleaners . Heart already broken ( I know cause mine is still broken ) and broke as well . Oh Hell no hurry up and take care of that !

dallas702

Don't wait to do anything. Go to the bank TODAY and transfer the money out. Talk to the bank manager. Don't waste time with a teller. Some banks have branches open on Sundays if you have to use that. What the heck are you waiting for?????????

As long as you have the right to sign for checks or cash without your idiot hubby, write yourself the biggest check you can and do it NOW. IF....IF...he tries to get a lawyer and get half he will have to find a real bottom feeder. You can easily say you were coerced into putting the money into a joint account by your obviously-greedy "husband". IMHO most courts would throw him out on his ear.....which is exactly what you should do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">