• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relatives moving in: Rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sewing

What is the name of your state? CT

My niece, boyfriend, and two kids are going to move in to my house. We're giving them the whole downstairs, but sharing kitchen/dining. The neighborhood isn't zoned for 2-family. They will be paying us several hundred dollars/month "rent".

Is this legal? The "rent" part-- we'd have to declare it as income, but does that make us landlords and in violation of some code somewhere? Does paying us allow them to declare it as a housing expense if they apply for assistance, like daycare?

Or do we have to keep it all under the table? I presume there are reasonable exemptions, to allow for child allowances, and kids contributing to the household, but this is of another scale, perhaps.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Sewing said:
What is the name of your state? CT

My niece, boyfriend, and two kids are going to move in to my house. We're giving them the whole downstairs, but sharing kitchen/dining. The neighborhood isn't zoned for 2-family. They will be paying us several hundred dollars/month "rent".

Is this legal? The "rent" part-- we'd have to declare it as income, but does that make us landlords and in violation of some code somewhere? Does paying us allow them to declare it as a housing expense if they apply for assistance, like daycare?

Or do we have to keep it all under the table? I presume there are reasonable exemptions, to allow for child allowances, and kids contributing to the household, but this is of another scale, perhaps.

Thanks for any help.

My response:

What does this have to do with "Other Government & Administrative Law Matters"?

IAAL

Sewing

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

What does this have to do with "Other Government & Administrative Law Matters"?

IAAL
I didn't know where else to put it. Thank you for taking the time to reply; your help has been invaluable.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Sewing said:
I didn't know where else to put it. Thank you for taking the time to reply; your help has been invaluable.

My response:

You didn't know where else to put it? Gee, I think we have about 5 forums concerning rent, landlords, tenancy, etc. But you're right, "Other Government & Administrative Law Matters" sounded real close to your issues.

Do you walk around saying "duh" very often?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">