• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Setting up an Import Entitiy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anil_kansal

What is the name of your state? NC
Hi, I am Richa Kansal, currently an Indian citizen residing in NC,USA. At present I am on H4 visa and my husband is on H1B visa. I am a licensed exporter in India and I want to tie up with a US citizen who is ready to be an importer for my goods. I am already in process of talking with her but as of now she doesn't have an import entity(she is a retail store holders). I seek your advice on
1) What are the requirements needed from a client to tie-up with as a legal importer ( like a storefront (?), a licensed buyer in an established import business(?),a warehouser(?) )
2) How should I proceed?
3) What are the cost factors that I should keep in mind before finalizing this deal ?
Secondly, if it all doesn't work out. Do I still have the option of doing as my husband is authorized to run a limited liability company(LLC). What are pros and cons of LLC in my case?
Thanking you in advance.

I am not an attorney, but I am a retailer who occasionally imports. You do not need an import license for most harmless, household goods. You can obtain an RN (registered number, like you see on boxes) number if you want to for free. If not, Customs will want a social security number at least. It's best to have a customs broker to clear your goods. M.E. Day is a good company. As for warehousing, there is no requirement after it clears customs, unless it is hazardous or something like that. Why only one retailer? Alibaba.com or Trade India will give you access to hundreds of retailers. Have you checked the quota status of your goods? Depending on the type of goods, it may be better to have your goods go through to a closer city to you than New York. If your goods get held up for inspection, the East Coast can be expensive for storage. Just don't try the old trick of sending small quantities and marking them as samples when it is actually stock. Customs may seize your goods. I clear goods in Dallas, even though it is not a port. What type of goods are you exporting?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">