• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contingency Basis, no Settlement, still owe $$?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pastrychef

Florida
A friend of mine was injured while taking a self defense class three years ago. She slipped while "sparring" and broke her kneecap and has since accumulated many medical bills. She has retained an attorney on a contingency basis and he is now talking about how she will owe him fees and repayment of expenses (ie.. ordering medical records, etc.) if they do not receive a settlement.
I was under the impression that the object of contingency basis is that if there is no settlement, there is no money out of the plaintiff's pocket. Am I wrong in this thinking? Please give any advice you have.
Thank you!
Candace

djohnson

The lawyers fees yes, but there are other fees that can accumulate like court costs, copy costs, and others that she may be responsible for.

622_sub

name of state: CA

Hi. i do know somebody that knows of a way to collect money before the case settles. it really helps people with lawsuit while their case is still pending. If interested send me an email and we can talk more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">