• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Secession?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drevil915

I live in Georgia and I am a college student writing a term paper on how U.S. states can secede from the federal union. I've been doing a lot of research on the Civil War but I haven't found anything about "how" they actually seceded. Please, I need someone with the knowledge to tell me the process in which a U.S. state would secede from the union, preferably in detail. Thanks to anyone who responds.

-Jason Iacono :confused:

drevil915 said:
I live in Georgia and I am a college student writing a term paper on how U.S. states can secede from the federal union. I've been doing a lot of research on the Civil War but I haven't found anything about "how" they actually seceded. Please, I need someone with the knowledge to tell me the process in which a U.S. state would secede from the union, preferably in detail. Thanks to anyone who responds.

-Jason Iacono :confused:
Here is a good web site http://www.faqs.org/faqs/civil-war-usa/faq/part1/

Basically, the states which seceded held conventions and passed Ordinances of Secession. At the time there was much debate as to whether the US constitution, which all states had ratified, was meant to be only a treaty between sovereign states or a binding legal document. Today, secession would not be legally possible. The fourteenth amendment, passed after the Civil war, states that all people born or naturalized in the U.S. are citizens of the U.S. and no state may take that away from them.

JETX said:
Though I agree with Racer on this (we do NOT do homework), I can lead you to a good source that might HELP you do it.
Go to: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=state+secession+from+federal&btnG=Google+Search
I like your signature, JETX. It reminds of the old story of when the French, during one of their innumerable wars with the English, captured a British officer. They asked him why the British officers always wore red coats. He responded that it was so that the soldiers would not see the blood and panic if the officers were shot in battle. The French thought this a very good idea, and that is why, to this very day, all French army officers wear brown pants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">