• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had a very bad fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PKMurphy

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I was in the rear of a party store (for the first and last time) and I didn't see a grate that was covered by leaves and I stepped down into it and fell. I broke my ankle and although its been almost 3 years my ankle still is very painful. After 2 years I decided to sue. Now I discover that the store owner has no insurance and he may file bankruptcy to avoid any judgement that I may get. Is there something I can do to make him pay for his negligence or can he really not reimburse me for anything and simply file bankruptcy? :mad:

jity

Is there something I can do to make him pay for his negligence or can he really not reimburse me for anything and simply file bankruptcy?

No - once he receives a favorable BK judgment and lists you as a "creditor" the judgment in your case would be uncollectable.

PKMurphy

jity said:
Is there something I can do to make him pay for his negligence or can he really not reimburse me for anything and simply file bankruptcy?

No - once he receives a favorable BK judgment and lists you as a "creditor" the judgment in your case would be uncollectable.
I understand that on 10/17 the bankruptcy laws will become more difficult. Is this all a matter of timing? We may not go to trial for another 6-9 months, will it be more difficult for the business owner to file after October? or are the new restrictions for consumersand not business owners?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">