• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will homeowners insurance pay for fire while renting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pdubya

What is the name of your state?OR
A fire began last night while I was sleeping. The source was not identified exactly. However, the fire investigator supposes it was a cigarette. I am a smoker and there were cigarette butts found nearby. The timeframe that it takes for a cigarette to ignite however, wasn't necissarily conducive to the time that I was there. I am renting the house and I wonder if I will be liable to pay for this damage. Or is this something that the homeowners insurance will take care of?

efflandt

I don't know the answer to your question (check your policy). But it should certainly be a wake up call to not smoke when drowsy or drunk. Or you could wake up dead like a past (away) friend of mine may have (died in fire).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">