• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney and Loss of Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brnc

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My uncle is 80 years old and owns a condo in North Carolina. The condo was flooded and has to be completely rebuilt. Due to his health, he gave me power of attorney and asked if I would take care of the situation. Since I am retired, I said yes.

I am presently in the North Carolina town where the condo is located. Since I am having to pay for living quarters out of my pocket, I asked the Insurance agent about my uncle's loss of use coverage. He said I was not "eligible" for loss of use since I am not my Uncle.

Does the power of attorney not provide me this right of coverage?

tammy8

You are not the "named insured" so you have no claim to the policy. Wy do you have to be in the same town while this is going on?

brnc

My uncle is presently in assisted living in Illinois and would not be able to take the strain of what has happened. Consequently, he gave me POA to take care of the problems with the restoration of the condo unit. Trust me, if I had not been here during the past 2 months, restoration services (when estimates are worked out and finally approved) would not have been provided in a professional manner.

As well, it was discovered that the insurance agent was responsible for errors and omissions. The declarations page indicated the policy had a maximum of $1000.00 loss of use. After my nagging questions, he ran it through the computer software again and determined it should be in excess of $10,000.00...something about local statues require it be a function of Coverage A.

The way things are going with the claim, I expect I will be here another 2 months...at least...at my own expense!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">