• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Government Ok's Property Destruction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dikkk

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Kankakee, Illinois
On June 21, 2005, a neighbor threatened to have my natural, wildflower landscape cut by Code as she didn't like it. The yard is maintained, the grass cut. Code sent out their "notice of violation" for weeds. My husband contacted Code again to tell them that all the plants are legal. This has happened before and they look and then agree that everything is OK. Code refused to respond to his calls. On June 22, 75% of the yard was destroyed before the Superintendent of Public Works decided to stop because he agree it was someone's maintained yard and the work order didn't make sense. On June 27, Code finally returned my husband's calls and couldn't explain to him why they had destroyed the yard. They destroyed my privacy walls which consisted of 1000 Rose of Sharon Trees, tons of violets, spirea, forsynthias, flowers, ect. What is left is wood debis and stumps! I went to the Mayor with my complaint and he forwarded it to the Cities Attorney. The attorney responded July 22, that essentially I "had not done what they asked and that therefore Code's behavior was proper." I have no idea what he is talking about. I have received no better an answer from him than from Code. I realized that the neighbor hated my yard, the trees, ect., but as long as it is maintained and is clean, how can they come onto private property and destroy it. The neighbor was also responsible for a large, old tree in the front yard/right of way being cut down and last june(2004) was spraying a tree in the back, trying to kill it because she didn't like the way it dropped leaves off season. I maintain the yard and stay away from her. It is a super tiny house and I actually live down the street in a larger house with a very similarly landscaped yard. I am now petrified that they are going to destroy that. Since when does the government destroy personal property just because your neighbor doesn't like it? What rights do I have under the 5th and 14th amendments? Due Process? We had also been complaining for over 2 years about a pigsty Auto Shop adjacent to our property (real bad). Code pretty much has ignored us on our issues and left them to do whatever violations they want. Under F.O.I. law, I saw their file and there was no violations. Code looks the other way, including letting them separate license plates and putting one plate on two different cars. They got a variance on the property and was suppose to have posted their request. It was never posted. Codes response was, "They said it was posted; that's good enough for me." The other issue is that the house with the decimated yard was going to be sold, no one would want it now. The yard looks like ground zero. Help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">