• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subrogate renter's insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SW-Missouri

What is the name of your state? Missouri

A discussion between some rentors:
An owner rents a house to a renter. (This is a month-to-month agreement, and there is a signed agreement).

Renter carries renter’s insurance (smart idea).

There is an accident causing substantial damage to owners property (fire, water,...) to the extent that the renters has to move.

The owner does not carry property insurance (remember this is a hypothetical exercise).

Can the deposit be kept for cause with no problems?

Can the property owner subrogate the renter’ insurance to recover damages?

Or is the owner’s only recourse is to try to collect damages from the renters?

Appreciate any input.

Last edited:

ALawyer

The renter's insurance only is liable to the extent the renter is liable. That depends on the state's law, the lease and/or the cause of the damage. The owner's insurer would seek contribution from the renter or her insurance company if and to the extent it thinks it can recover something.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ALawyer said:
The renter's insurance only is liable to the extent the renter is liable. That depends on the state's law, the lease and/or the cause of the damage. The owner's insurer would seek contribution from the renter or her insurance company if and to the extent it thinks it can recover something.

My response:

ALawyer, I think you missed this part - -

"The owner does not carry property insurance (remember this is a hypothetical exercise)."

Want to try again?

IAAL

smerks

Let's change the story a bit

So, let's say the renters do not have insurance and the house is not livable because of an accident( fire). Are the renters entitled to the deposit?

Can they sue the landlord for property damage?
Thanks in advance.
k

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">