• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue someone that gave me Chlamydia, Reiter's Syndrome, and Bartholin cyst?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sn75

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Is it possible to sue someone for giving you a STD?
The guy I dated back in college (Utah, fall 2002) gave me Chlamydia. It took about 7 months before anyone understood what was wrong with me. I got to the point where I was unable to walk, had horrible lower back pain, sprained knees, sprained right wrist, sprained right elbow, and sprained right ankle. I had developed Reiter’s Syndrome (I am HLA-B27 positive). Not only had I developed a chronic disease I also had problems with one of my Bartholin glands. I finally had to have the cyst removed 2 weeks ago.
I later on found out that he had given Chlamydia to at least one more girl but she was lucky to not have the HLA-B27 gene.
I have done a lot of research and I have found a correlation between Chlamydia, Reiter’s Syndrome, and Bartholin cysts. It is possible to sue this guy for all the pain he has caused me?

/Zanna

rmet4nzkx

Yes you can sue for std, but not for a genetic disorder. There will be limitations, that STD is very common and many men do not know they are carriers or perhaps you infected him. Did you consent to unprotected sex?

tigger22472

A few questions:

1. Do you have proof that you received this from him?
2. How long ago did this happen?
3. When did you find out the right diagnosis?

sn75

Thank you for your responses!
Yes I can proof that I got it from him because he tested positive for Chlamydia and I did not have any sexual contact with anyone 9 months before him.
This happened August or September of 2002.
I did not find out that I had Chlamydia until April of 2003 when I had to go to the emergency room because all my joints were sprained. This is also when they sent me to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with Reiter’s Syndrome. I first showed symptoms in January of 2003 and I went to the doctor because I thought I had an UTI. I also started to develop back pain at this point. The doctor treated me 3 times for UTI but it did not really get any better. My back pain got worse and worse and all the doctors did was to give me very strong pain killers which did not help. It got to the point where I could not even walk, sit, or lay. I finally got the doctors to refer me to a physical therapist. The physical therapist thought I had slipped a disc. His treatment made it a little bit better but then after a month I woke up one morning with a sprained knee. Three weeks later I woke up one morning with the other knee, my right wrist, elbow, and ankle sprained. My friend had to take me to the emergency room.
Yes, Reiter’s Syndrome is a genetic disorder but just because you have the HLA-B27 gene does not mean that you have to develop the disorder. None in my family has the disorder even though my mother’s side of the family carries the gene. Reiter’s Syndrome is usually triggered by an infection such as Chlamydia.
Yes, I had unprotected sex with him once but we were dating and he said that he had been tested. It was the biggest mistake of my life!

/Zanna

rmet4nzkx

Unless you were tested before sex with him, you don't know if you didn't have it from your previous sexual partners. You are making way too many associations. You can't blame him for a genitic condition or exacerbaiton of it. You will not find an attorney to take your case if those are the claims you are manking because you will not find an expert to testify. You might be able to sue him for battery for the infection if you can prove you didn't get it elsewhere.

sn75

I know that you can have Chlamydia in your body for a long time without any symptoms but health officials usually says that it will show within 6 months in women. I did not have any sexual contact with anyone for 9 months until I met this guy. It then took about 5 months before I started to show symptoms. So you mean that it is possible to have Chlamydia in your body for 14 months without showing any symptoms? To be honest I think that possibility is very slim and something I have asked several gynecologists about. They usually recommend contacting partners you have had within the last 6 months. By the way I did not have any unprotected sex before him.
I am not blaming him for any genetic condition. It is unfortunate that I had the gene but what I am saying is that if I would not to have been infected with Chlamydia I would probably not have developed Reiter’s Syndrome or gotten Bartholin cysts. There is lots of literature that says that the mix of the HLA-B27 gene and Chlamydia causes Reiter’s Syndrome. There is also literature stating that Bartholin cysts are a common problem after having had Chlamydia. I know that I had unprotected sex with him once but he lied to me and said that he was clean. I thought that I would get over the anger I have inside of me but I haven’t. I have a chronic disease that has changed my life because I did one stupid mistake once in my life. I have chronic pain and have to live with the fear of my spine fusing, but also other problems. I also recently had to have a cyst big as an egg surgically removed from my female part because I was stupid and had sex with a guy who lied about being clean. These are not a bunch of assumptions, and correlations that I have come up with; there is lots of literature to back it up with!

tigger22472

rmet4nzkx said:
Unless you were tested before sex with him, you don't know if you didn't have it from your previous sexual partners. You are making way too many associations. You can't blame him for a genitic condition or exacerbaiton of it. You will not find an attorney to take your case if those are the claims you are manking because you will not find an expert to testify. You might be able to sue him for battery for the infection if you can prove you didn't get it elsewhere.
rmet, I'll ask you this because this is why I haven't responded yet. Would this following under personal injury? If so it's likely that the SOL has ran out or likely will next month as she says she found out in August of 2003. This is why I asked the questions that I did. Seems to me this is civil because in order for it to be criminal he would have had to KNOWING given it to her on purpose.

California's two-year statute of limitations in personal injury cases begin to run upon the date of the injury or when a person discovers an injury has occurred. Anyone with a valid, enforceable and collectible claim, who files one day after the two year statute of limitations period, is facing dismissal of an outlawed claim.
(http://consumerlawpage.com/article/sol-extended.shtml)

Under California law, whenever there is both knowledge of an injury and facts sufficient to cause a reasonable person to suspect negligence on the part of another party, the statutory clock begins ticking. These conditions apply even when an informed professional renders contrary opinions or the plaintiff has no personal appreciation of the fact that an injury has occurred as the result of another’s wrongful conduct. The clock begins to run once the there is an objective suspicion of negligence, even if the plaintiff is not able to identify the negligent party. Anyone with a valid, enforcible, and collectible claim who files one day after the statute of limitations period faces dismissal of an outlawed claim.

(http://www.anattorneynearyou.com/news/california.html)

rmet4nzkx

She can consult an attorney but trying to prove what she is claiming is next to imposible and at that point in time he may have tested "clean" what ever that meant. It's not like he had symptoms or a positive test for HIV/AIDS and then infected her intentionally. She consented to have unprotected sex and took the risk.

Her infection a very common infection, has been treated. All this other business re the genetic conditions is not relevant she cannot prove he caused that and millions of people walk around with HLA-B27 genes without ever having any problems in life and any number of other things in her life and environment may have exacerbated it without a STD.

Literature is one thing, getting an expert to testify in another. California is a Fry state so it is possible that she might possibly find someone to support her theory but the defense will find as many to counter it and most expert witnesses in California, since they belong to national associations will follow the Daubert standard, so it is highly unlikely that she would find a compelling witness and the cost to fight such a case without the existance of a clean test for herself, let alone proving she didn't have sex with anyone else is another challenge.

sn75

Okay rmet4nzkx, I see your point! I have no case!
But just to let you know. Some people are lucky and will not ever develop Reiter’s Syndrome but these people have most likely never been exposed to a sever infection. People who have the HLA-B27 gene are highly likely to develop Reiter’s Syndrome if they will get infected with an infection such as Chlamydia trachomatis (most common), Salmonella, Shigella, Yersinia, or Campylobacter. So please save me the B…S… that “number of other things in her life and environment may have exacerbated it without a STD.” I have done research on this matter ever since the day I found out about my illness, so please don’t make those kinds of comments! I could also back it up with the number of rheumatologists I have seen over the years and doctors’ notes!
Thanks for your help!

/Zanna

rmet4nzkx

sn75 said:
Okay rmet4nzkx, I see your point! I have no case!
But just to let you know. Some people are lucky and will not ever develop Reiter’s Syndrome but these people have most likely never been exposed to a sever infection. People who have the HLA-B27 gene are highly likely to develop Reiter’s Syndrome if they will get infected with an infection such as Chlamydia trachomatis (most common), Salmonella, Shigella, Yersinia, or Campylobacter. So please save me the B…S… that “number of other things in her life and environment may have exacerbated it without a STD.” I have done research on this matter ever since the day I found out about my illness, so please don’t make those kinds of comments! I could also back it up with the number of rheumatologists I have seen over the years and doctors’ notes!
Thanks for your help!

/Zanna
You can have a stack of medical records 10 feet high and if you cannot prove the elements, you don't have a case, all this stres is worse for you than any STD.

sn75

I have already understood that I do not have a case!
You are the one who is the biggest stresser because you are not listening to what I am saying. I do not understand why you are being so rude to me? You are just misunderstanding what I am saying all the time! All I tried to do was to explain to you how an infection like Chlamydia can cause Reiter's Syndrome. I realized that I did not have a case several postings ago!

Zanna

rmet4nzkx

sn75 said:
I have already understood that I do not have a case!
You are the one who is the biggest stresser because you are not listening to what I am saying. I do not understand why you are being so rude to me? You are just misunderstanding what I am saying all the time! All I tried to do was to explain to you how an infection like Chlamydia can cause Reiter's Syndrome. I realized that I did not have a case several postings ago!

Zanna
I am not being rude, I am explaining the legal realities. It's of no value, legally to argue all your unproven theories about how your genetic condition was exacerbated if you havent satisfied the required elements for a lawsuit re battery for intentionally infecting you with a STD. I told you it was possible to sue but once you provided the facts it became clear even to you that you did not satisfy those elements.

You are creating your own stress. Move on with your life and learn how to lead a healthy lifestyle and accommodate your condition. In the future, be sure to use condoms when having sex to lesson your potential exposure to both pregnancy and STDs. Both you and your potential sexual partners should get tested prior to any sexual relationship and you should inform them of your sexual history as well.

sn75

Thanks for explaining the legal realities I appreciate it but please stop giving me advice on how to live my life!

Zanna

sn75 the questions is....why are you being so rude to rmet4nzkx?? :confused: All she/he has done was tried to help you on his/her own time. No need to get snippy b/c the answers weren't the ones you wanted to hear. The truth hurts sometimes.....

rmet4nzkx

sn75 said:
Thanks for explaining the legal realities I appreciate it but please stop giving me advice on how to live my life!

Zanna
You have no cause of action, does that mean that you have no intention of even trying to improve your circumstances, in legal terms, that is mitigating your damages? Or are you going to continue to look for some way to blame someone else for your actions in addition to your genetic condition for secondary gain? This is more than just you recognizing that you have no legal standing to bring suit, reality is that you have to accept your genetic condition and learn to accommodate that by improving your lifestyle and yes, you need to be honest with your future sexual partners or you might be the one getting sued. You are protesting too much to be an innocent victim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">