• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC legal questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mets

Hi, I'm starting an LLC in New York and I have some questions.

1) I know that the LLC application asks for the address the LLC will be practicing business at. My business is strictly an online business, and therefore I don't have an office or a vendor site - just a website. What should I put here? My PO Box address? To make this even trickier, I'll also be partially-moving to Pittsburgh for business, and will be spending about half the year in each state, so I'm hesitant to put my home address.

2) I sell intangibles on my website (such as software, ebooks, etc.). Do I owe tax on any of these items? Even if I don't, should I register as a vendor with the tax department?

3) I downloaded the NYS LLC formation form from the Department of State, which looks very very easy to fill out. It does say, however, that the form "does not contain all optional provisions under the law" and that I could draft my own form, and I noticed that it doesn't have anything about members, whether I want to use membership units/percentages, tax distribution, etc. I'm forming a single-member LLC, so I know this doesn't really matter, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Does this usually go in the operating agreement?

4) Regarding the operating agreement, New York State doesn't ask to see this to form the LLC - what should I do with it, and where should I keep it?

I'm currently not using a lawyer, as after seeing how basic the forms are, I'd be pretty hard pressed to pay somebody to do this. That being said, is there anything I should watch out for/should be doing? I was thinking about using an online site LLC forming site as a back-up plan, but I don't think I'll need it now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">